Recipes

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to win over your Father-in-Law (through food)

I've been with my husband for 12 years, and married for 4.  So let's just say I've known my FIL for a long time.  While we don't have much in common, there is a mutual love and affection between us.  We both love my husband and kids, and we know that the other one would be there for us should we need them.

My FIL is picky, though.  He doesn't say much about the food I cook when he's visiting, but this changed on sunday night.  My in-laws were out for a bit in the afternoon, so I decided to surprise them with some apple crisp for dinner.  I set out to make it knowing that my MIL is a fantastic baker, so I was a bit nervous to see if they'd say anything once they tried my recipe.  Two bites in, my FIL looked up with a big smile on his face and COMPLIMENTED my recipe!!  Win!!  Here it is folks:
Apple Crisp

4 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix first 3 ingredients together in bowl and arrange in a shallow baking dish, about 10x6x2.  
2. Mix next 4 ingredients.  Add egg and mix until crumbly.  Sprinkle on mixture in dish.
3. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. 
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment